Monte Blanc Pen Mod Review

I read a post about how to convert a $3 pen into a $200 pen on LifeHacker last year.

Collaborative DIY site Instructables shows us how to convert a $3 pen into a $200 Mont Blanc pen by filling the shell of the former with the innards of the latter.
So this last Christmas I modded some pens and had my co-workers evaluate them. I was planing on making them for family gifts. Anyway, here is a review from my friend Paul, a pen aficionado:
---
Pilot G-2 05 and Mont Blanc fine point refill

Recently I examined both the Pilot G-2 05 gel pen (retail $1.50) and
the Mont Blanc rollerball refill (retail $6.00). While the look and feel
(feel as in "heft" as opposed to the way the pen glides across the
paper) of a pen are certainly reasonable features to consider, for this
test I was mostly interested in the quality of the line that each pen
produced on a specific type of paper - the acid-free, archival quality
paper of a Moleskine sketch book.

I have discovered that my preference regarding the broadness of a pen
tip varies according to the task I am performing. Generally I prefer a
fine point (0.5mm) or a very fine point (0.38mm). I've discovered,
though, that when I'm signing my name, I prefer a broader point.

Here are my comments on each of these fine point pens:

Mont Blanc rollerball refill (modded to fit the Pilot G-2 case)

Con
  • Line feathered slightly
Pro
  • Skip-free writing
  • Nice feel
  • Attractive
  • Inexpensive (compared to buying a full Mont Blanc)
Had it not been for the slight feathering, this refill would have become
one of my favorites. However, since it feathers, it faces a lot more
competition.

Pilot G-2 gel

Con
  • No feathering
  • Unsightly yellowish plug visible inside at the top of the refill
Pro
  • Skip-free writing
  • Nice feel
  • Ink level visible
  • Inexpensive
  • Widely available
The Pilot G-2 05 is one of the great gel pens available today. I highly
recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'm glad you like it and it worked out well for your and your friend! Our Director of Products informs everyone at the bottom of every email he sends out how great the pen trick is. You should come check out all of the other cool project we have such as the shopping cart chair and mouse mouse.

    Sincerely,
    Randy
    (on behalf of the Instructables team)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for "real" Montblanc pens, then check out EngravablyYours.com. They have a very nice selection.

    ReplyDelete