The following job description is my submission to the Best Buy job description contest. Please sign up for an account on http://bestbuyideax.com/ and vote for my idea (number 645).
The term 'emerging media expert' may be an oxymoron. Perhaps it should be 'emerging media specialist' or even 'emerging media explorer'. After all it is just emerging.
It reminds me a bit of the early days, when you could find corporate job descriptions for Internet professionals demanding 10+ years of Internet-related experience in a field that was not really even 6 years old. Larry Ellison, Oracle CEO, in a keynote address he gave some years ago, observed that a calendar year was roughly equivalent to four Internet years – thus equating an Internet year with a corporate financial quarter. The rate of change on the Internet is fast and I would argue that the impact emerging media has makes change even faster.
I agree with George Colony from Forrester Research as he so aptly put it "Social [media] is like sex. It's fun to talk about and read about, but you can't truly comprehend unless you do it." An online presence of some magnitude is telling, but perhaps requiring 200+ friends/connections/followers is too arbitrary. Research suggests that your brain is hard wired to pay attention to about 150 people (Dunbar's number).
Perhaps instead one should focus on the transferable skills and career evolution of a candidate as well as his/her passionate attitude.
"For true experts realize that they don’t have all the answers, they are aware that surprises await in every endeavor, and they have the resources to deal with everything that is thrown at them." -Rick MahnFor example take the role of Islands Caretaker for Tourism Queensland in Australia, or what has been termed the ‘Best Job in the World’. The role was a newly created position designed to help promote the Islands of the Great Barrier Reef in Australia to the world. A 34-year-old charity fundraiser from Petersfield in Hampshire, UK was selected not only for his transferable skills (SCUBA diving and sailing) but his adventurous spirit, energy and passion for the outdoors.
Transferable skills for an Emerging Media Marketing role would probably include:
- search marketing strategy and implementation
- project management
- web metrics and analytics
- team leadership and agency management
Career evolution might look like this:
Develop web properties -> manage web properties -> advocate usability -> market web properties -> measure web visitor behavior -> listen to web audiences -> engage in the web conversation with your audience in a human voice.
For me anyway the Cluetrain Manifesto embodies many of the paradigms that have evolved on the web. Why not use that document to frame up a job description for the Emerging Media Marketing role?
--- Begin Job Description Idea for the Emerging Media Marketing role ---
"A powerful global conversation has begun. Through the Internet, people are discovering and inventing new ways to share relevant knowledge with blinding speed. As a direct result, markets are getting smarter—and getting smarter faster than most companies." - Cluetrain Manifesto
Description of responsibilities
- Be the leader for marketing Best Buy’s brands, products, initiatives, services, et al via Social Media, Mobile, and Video.
- Lead direct reports and agency partners
- Strategy/Budget/time line/project management responsibility
- Inspire/Generate ideas
- Develop an internal/external network to get the above done.
- 10+ years web/online marketing and/or Agency experience with 3+ years developing and directing search marketing and/or online community and communications initiatives.
- Bachelor's Degree
- A positive engaging online presence - Experience with emerging media & record of having used it extensively:
- Active Twitter account at least 1 year old with 150+ followers
- Active Facebook account
- Active LinkedIn account with 150+ connections and 24+ recommendations
- 3G Smart phone Owner/User for at least a year (iPhone, Android or other)
- 5+ years experience leading cross-functional teams in achieving a unified goal
- 5+ years Experience with web property measurement and analysis
- Familiarity with quantitative and qualitative Web Analytics reports such as those generated by Omniture SiteCatalyst, or Foresee Results.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong influence management capabilities
- Ability to create great working relationships with all levels within the company and across multiple disciplines.
- Superior communication and writing skills
- Committed to staying on top of emerging technologies and developing new programs and strategies accordingly.
- Ability to move from a technical project status meeting in IT to a creative marketing meeting, and be able to understand and participate with both on equal footing.
- Keen sense of curiosity and hunger for knowledge
- A desire to make a difference